At SBAS we believe that continual learning is essential to fulfilling human potential. To that end, we strive to create a customer centered environment for meaningful, enjoyable and affordable classes that reflect the ever-changing goals and interests in our community.
ABOUT US...South Bay Adult School, serving the Beach community for over 90 years, is the 11th largest adult school in California with more than 10,000 annual registrations. We offer a wide variety of classes in a safe, healthy and relaxing environment. SBAS is located in Los Angeles County, California with campuses in Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach
Interesting Info about SBAS...
- SBAS has been in operation since 1918.
- SBAS is the 11th largest adult school in California with more than 10,000 students registered annually.
- SBAS offers classes on more than 11 sites for your convenience.
- SBAS Parent Education program has been named a "PROGRAM OF EXCELLENCE" by the State of California twice.
- SBAS has been named a Promising Practice in ESL Citizenship by the State of California.
- Anyone 18 or older may attend.
- There are no residency requirements.
- About 100 adults complete the requirements for their high school diploma each year.
- ESL classes are offered in the morning and evening.
- Our 3,000 ESL students annually represent more than 65 countries.
- SBAS is open year round and offers four terms--Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer.
- Parent Education classes serve parents with children from ages 0 to 5.
- Citizenship classes are provided for both English speakers and English learners.
- Our vocational program offers typing classes and typing certificates.
- More than 25 vocational education classes include completion certificates, upon request.
Vocational Education classes are offered in computers, photography and more.
- SBAS sponsors special events throughout the year for students, Open House, Cultural and Seasonal Activities, Book Fairs, Art Shows, Family Nights, Community lectures and much more.
- LERN honorable mention in the brochure gallery for cover design twice.
- SBAS State PreSchool serves our ESL students and their children.
- SBAS provides valuable services to South Bay parents of K to 12 students--including, English tutoring, State PreSchool and the Resource Room at Edison Center.
- Distance Learning for English Learners.
- Summer 2011 South Bay Adult School and Beach Cities Health District partnered to present Vitality City http://bchd.org/get-involved/vitality-city a community-wide approach to creating healthier, happier and more productive citizens. It uses permanent, evidence-based environmental and policy changes to motivate residents to adopt and maintain healthier lifestyles.